Skip to main content

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Close-up Photo Of Flooded Floor In Kitchen From Water Leak

The answer is, well that depends. Most homeowner policies will cover property and personal possession damage or losses from a burst pipe, or a ruptured washing machine hose. However, while buckled hardwood flooring will be replaced if your dishwasher begins to leak, the replacement of the appliance itself is not covered. Remember, your homeowner’s policy offers protection for accidental events- not losses due to poor maintenance or planned obsolescence, such as a faulty water heater that is over 15 years old. When it comes to water damage insurance, you have to read the fine print or consult an expert for advice.

What other types of water damage are not covered by your homeowners insurance? Well, storm damage due to flooding. For example, if due to high winds, shingles are torn off your roof during a hurricane, subsequent water damage to the roof and interior of your home will likely be covered. However, if you live near a river, creek, or brook that overflows its banks during a storm and into your finished basement, then no, your homeowners insurance does not cover this source of water damage and any present or residual damages and losses.

So if you are asking yourself, “Does insurance cover water damage?” It will depend on the source of the water itself. To recap, damage caused by accidental system leaks inside your home will likely be a covered benefit. If you live by a river, pond, lake, or any interior waterway, the professionals at United Public Adjusters and Appraisers, Inc, strongly recommend that you invest in Flood insurance from The National Flood Insurance Program. 

We also recommend that you do not wait until you have a water damage insurance claim to discover you are not covered for losses. Give our team a call. Our experts will review your policy and note any shortcomings. This way, you will know what can and cannot be covered under your homeowners insurance and/or can update your policy so any property damage claim will not be denied due to insufficient or fact of coverage. To schedule a consultation for your home or business property, give us a call at 800-718-5677.


"*" indicates required fields

Close Menu